7 THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THE NEW GCSE GRADES
- GCSEs in England have reformed and will be graded with a new scale from 9 to 1, with 9 being the highest grade.
- New GCSE content will be more challenging.
- Fewer grade 9s will be awarded than A*s.
- English language, English literature and maths will be the first to be graded from 9 to 1 in 2017.
- Another 20 subjects will have 9 to 1 grading in 2018, with most others following in 2019. During this transition, students received a mixture of letter and number grades.
- The new grades are being brought in to signal that GCSEs have been reformed and to better differentiate between students of different abilities.
- In the first year each new GCSE subject is introduced, broadly the same proportion of students will get a grade 4 or above as would have got a grade C or above in the old system.